Re: Electrical ducting

To: drabik@solaris.mirc.gatech.edu, garyg@crl.com, rwg1@cornell.edu,
Subject: Re: Electrical ducting
From: cak@aratar.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 10:59:53 PST
        Why would you want to do this for 110 circuits? You will
        effectivly limit your outlets to 1/2 of the circuit capacity,
        by doubling the load on the neutral wire. Each 110 circuit should have
        it's own hot and neutral from the box.

Not so. In this style of wiring, the neutral carries the difference in
load between the two hot phases, not the sum. (It's in the Canadian
Electrical Code to wire kitchens similarly to this - with "split
duplex" outlets, where the top outlet is fed by one phase and the
bottom by the other, but the neutral is shared.) There are a couple of
trick, most important being to wire the outlets so removing a single
outlet from service doesn't interrupt the neutral to the rest.

The reason I want to do it is to avoid running the extra neutral - I'm
planning to use pre-stuffed BX for the workshop, and 12/3 is just
the right thing.