mgs

RE: over drive oil

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <jello@ida.net>
Subject: RE: over drive oil
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:33:36 -0700
This question comes up again and again. Each time there is someone who
quotes the workshop manual as gospel. Hans, please let me start by
assuring you that this is not intended to be directed at you personally.

Lubricating oils in particular have changed a tremendous amount during
the years since the factory let go of the job of updating the workshop
manuals. The manuals are an excellent guide, but do not offer up to date
specifications for modern fluids.

Castrol GTX in particular has changed significantly over the years and
is specifically formulated for modern engines and has the same
compatibility issues as any other main stream oil despite being a name
brand originally specified by BMC, MG, Leyland.

Luckily MG OD gearboxes are not overly sensitive to oil specification
and will run happily on a wide range of viscosities and additive
packages.

Personally I subscribe to the less is better approach and agree with the
recommendation of non-detergent single viscosity motor oil such as a
30-50 wt. Detergent oils have additives that do not do anything to help
lubricate the gears and may cause foaming which is an absolute no-no in
hydraulic control systems. The composition of these additive packages
did not exist at the time the factory manuals were printed.

Hypoid type gear lube is not necessary as the gears do not have high
build up.

There are synthetics which according to the manufacturer will work
effectively with the OD clutch, but I do not have enough experience with
them to offer a recommendation.

Kelvin.