mgs

Re: [Members] sputter

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Members] sputter
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 20:08:38 -0500
Paul,

The MGA and MGB valve covers are dimensionally interchangeable.  It
appears that your valve cover has previously been distorted around
the attachment holes, most likely from overtightening the nuts.  A
gentle tapping on the inside with a flat faced hammer will bring the
metal around the holes back up to give you the needed range for
tightening andf adjustmenmt as the rubber gormmet and cork gasket
take a set in use.

At no time should the nut ever come into contact with the surface
underneath.  If it does, it's time to instiall new rubber grommets or
cork gasket.  In your case it's probably time to straighten (raise)
the metal at the top of the valve cover.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude