mgs

Re: Your OTHER cars

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Your OTHER cars
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:04:34 -0700
on 7/6/04 2:04 PM, Rick Lindsay at rick@stoolhead.com wrote:

> Hello Friends,
> Today I find myself thinking that I would like to find yet another project
> car.  I'm sure that feeling will pass (yea, right!) but the thought prompts
> me to ask the following questions:
>
> + Given that you probably have an MG...
>
> 1) What OTHER fun cars do you have tucked away?

My other rolling project is a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda fastback. It is a
survivor, actually, in much better shape than my MG. It shares the trait of
being easy to work on, and parts, where available, are generally not
expensive. But trim is much harder to find, and repro part support is not
nearly as good as for MGs. This is due to its relative scarcity (only about
50,000 of this body style produced over 3 years, with trim changes each
year). On the other hand, as a muscle car/pony car, this rarity makes it
more interesting than, say, a Mustang (millions produced) or a Camaro. It is
also perfectly at home in modern traffic, with plenty of power, good
handling (with the optional HD suspension plus aftermarket sway bars) and
disk brakes. This and the MG are my "daily drivers" -- I don't have a "real"
car. Right now I'm driving the MG because (1) it's top-down weather, and (2)
the price of premium fuel.

> 2) What other fun car would you LIKE to have?

A microcar. My wife used to have a Honda Z600 Coupe, then a 600 Sedan. These
were laugh-out-loud fun cars, like an original Mini but more so, and stilll
pretty much dirt cheap if you can find one. A Honda S600 or 800 sports car
would be a real kick, but those approach "exotic" level insofar as parts and
maintenance. A guy down the street has a FIAT Multipla, the original
micro-van... any FIAT 500/600 would be cool, but they are pretty expensive
on a pound-for-pound basis in this country, rather like Minis and Bugeyes.
What I really want is a Goggomobil coupe, but I've never even seen one, much
less seen one for sale.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149