mgs

Re: banshees under the hood

To: james <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: banshees under the hood
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:31:41 -0600
james wrote:

> If you are losing power the belt theory doesn't seem to add up, but another
> test for the belt is that if you sprinkle baby powder on the belt as it is
> squealing it should quiet it almost immediately.  This is a temporary fix
> but it might help narrow down the possible causes.  IMO it is most probable
> that the alt, or some other driven accessory is trying to seize (air pumps
> have a tendency to do this).  Short of that I would be afraid that it is a
> bearing getting starved inside the engine.

I'll bet it's a bad bearing in the alto or some other component
starting to seize up. If it were the water pump, I would expect it
to leak before seizing up, so I think it's the alternator or smog
pump or something that gets driven by the belt.

Symptoms: noise from slipping belt and added load from component
seizing up; belt slipping because of added load.

So, just replacing the belt won't fix the problem.

I suggest removing the belt the next time it does this. Cut the
ignition right away and pull the belt and try by hand to see which
belt-driven component is seizing up.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com