mgs

Re: Air filters [now Needles]

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air filters [now Needles]
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:42:08 -0700
Dan Dwelley had this to say:

>Thinner needle equates to smaller fuel port which equates to less fuel which
>leads to a leaner mixture.

Really? I had it visualized the opposite. I thought of the needle as a
plug in a hole. Where it is thicker, and fills the hole tighter, there is
a smaller ring-shaped opening around it for fuel. Where the needle is
thinner, and fits looser, there is more open area, and therefore more
fuel flow.

It would be like the difference between the little Dutch boy putting his
thumb in the hole in the dike, or his little finger. Presumably, there'd
be less water flowing around his thumb than around his little finger.

But I can't lay claim to any particular knowledge. So, how does it work?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149