mgs

Re: Fwd: I need a 1098cc engine

To: Spunky6686@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: I need a 1098cc engine
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:47:38 -0500
Spunky6686@aol.com wrote:

> does a 1275 or an 1100 fit in a 63 mg midget. And i didn't now that they ever
> came 1100cc at anytime.

Usually, 1100 or 1098 denotes a Mini or Austin America engine. These
will not fit in an in-line application, since the block, crankshaft,
flywheel and clutch are radically different, designed for sideways
mounting with the transmission in the sump and the clutch/flywheel in a
transfer case on the side. I may be wrong, but as far as I know,
Spridget and Moggie mills come in 948 and 1275 cc sizes.

I saw an engine sell on eBay in the last few days that was titled:
"1954 Austin Mini-Morris Minor Engine 948cc"

The description read:

"This is a complete 948 cc British "A" series engine from a 1954 Morris
Minor. Same engine in Mini's, Bugeye Sprite, and early Midget.
Dissassembled, ready for machine work. Carb, manifolds, distributor, etc
included. Could probably ship UPS in multiple packages. Winning bid to
pay shipping. Cashier's check or money order only."

Thankfully, the high bidder is doing a Sprite rebuild, since the ad is
completely wrong in its assumptions.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com