mgs

Re: Hello

To: "Brian DeFord" <bdeford@erols.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hello
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:17:48 +0100
I think the first thing you should do is to measure of the slave push-rod
while someone pumps the pedal.  If this is consistently the same amount
(about 5/8"?) when the clutch works and does not work then it is not the
hydraulics (although it probably is) but something on the cluch itself which
means an engine out (at least) job.

If you are not loosing fluid then it does sound like the m/c leaking back,
but it seems strange it has been changed twice and is still causing
problems - one bad one I could understand.

In general, if you replace the m/c then it is a good idea to replace the
hose and the slave at the same time and hopefully avoid problems with these
later on.  I did this on my V8 recently and having seen many people say what
a pig clutch bleeding is, tried an alternative way with complete success.  I
used a Gunsons Eezi-bleed with tubing connected between the slave bleed
nipple and the Gunsons cap that would normally go on the m/c.  With less
than 10psi in the tyre, I filled the system from the slave, *up* the pipe to
the m/c rather than the other way round.  Did it in about five minutes and
got full travel first time.

Lawrie - I would have thought that if the clutch hose was internally
collapsed it would have made the pedal harder, not more free?

PaulH.
MG Cars Webring MG Site of the Month - September '99
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/
(or if that URL doesn't work try   )
(http://194.168.54.52/paul.hunt1)