mgs

Re: OVERFLOWING SU CARBS

To: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: OVERFLOWING SU CARBS
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 21:40:13 +0100
Hi, Dave,

In the SU Reference Catalogue, the only 1963-4 listing is for an 'mgb
competition 4 cyl', which had either HD8 or HS8 carbs. 62-3 cars had
HS4s and in the US listings, the '68 Mk.1 cars and Mk 11s up to '72 all
had the same HS4s.

Assuming your carbs are HS not HIF, the correct all nylon floats are WZX
1300 which are, and I quote, 'All HS types. White Nylon-non-adjustable.
Supercedes all previous HS floats.'

Official line notwithstanding, you can adjust the floats for a lower
fuel level but ONLY if your float needles are in good order. How? By
varying the thickness of the washer under each needle seating.

However, I would suggest that you check the needles and seats first and
make sure that there isn't too much feed pressure. You can check the
later isn't happening through too enthusiastic a pump (i.e.
non-standard). This can be cured by fitting the correct pump or a Filter
King or other pressure regulator. The other possible problem could be
engine bay heat causing the fuel pressure to rise. This can also lead to
vapour locks and the cure is to re-route the fuel line away from high
heat sources.

Hope this helps,

Dave Hill
UK