mgs

RE: OD Speedo Gear/Pull

To: Warren Pruitt <warren_p@ls3p.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: OD Speedo Gear/Pull
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:11:21 -0600
In order to run your speedo at 1000 revs you will have to change both
gears in the transmission the drive gear and the pinion; or, of course
you are correct, you can get a speedo shop to build a speedo
"differential" to change the ratio.  Should you decide to change the
gear in the transmission I highly recommend you use the new steel gear
that is available.  That way if one of the gears self destructs it
will be the pinion gear, which is easily replaced.

The easiest way, and probably the cheapest way, to solve the problem
is to get a different speedo.  Old speedos are available at junk
yards, your MG buddies garages, and swap meets.  They generally go for
$5.00 to $25.00.  I bet someone on this list has a 1000 speedo, just
make sure it is the right diameter.

Larry Hoy
Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"