mgs

OD Speedo Gear/Pull

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: OD Speedo Gear/Pull
From: "Warren Pruitt" <warren_p@ls3p.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:31:37 -0400
I have acquired a '76 overdrive gearbox which I am going to install in my
'70 B roadster and was curious about the speedo difference and the easiest
way to correct the problem. My understanding is that year gearbox turned
the speedo at 1000 revs while my speedometer is calibrated for 1280 or 1240
(can't remember). Can the gears in the gearbox be changed to the earlier
gears and do both gears have to be changed or just (hopefully) the pinion
gear? Somewhere I thought I read about a box that could be installed on the
cable between the speedo and gearbox that could be adjusted as needed.
Anybody know anything about where these can be found and at what cost? The
other option is replacing the speedo, but I imagine an instrument that
matches my current ones are going to be rare.

On a different note, I have a slight pull to the right at speed (it's not
road crown). I have replaced tires, set alignment, switched wheels,
replaced springs, shocks, bushings, tie rods, king pins, rear springs, and
just about everything else except the lower arms (wishbones?). I wish I had
done this when rebuilding the front end. The car had been hit in the front
right corner years before I bought it and I am wondering if they were bent
back a tad then. The original right front tire was more worn than the
others but not by much. The only other thing I can think of is a
crossmember problem. Any other reason you can think of or how I can
determine the actual problem?

Help appreciated!

Warren Pruitt
1970 Roadster