mgs

getting frustrated

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: getting frustrated
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 17:41:10 -0600
Hello All,

Hope everyone's holidays were pleasant. I've been away for the last few
months because of school and I really hate to return to the list with a
problem, but ...  :) I'm having some trouble with my '71 MGB (and am slowly
going insane) and could use some help.

The poor LBC is choking to death every time I accelerate (at least thats
what it sounds like). The car idles and will rev smoothly while sitting
still without any missing, spitting, backfiring, or faultering. Once in
gear and the car starts to move, however, it coughs and spits and stumbles
horribly until I stop accelerating and hold the RPMs steady (while it is
stumbling, the alternator light is blinking in sync with the sputtering and
the radio is turning off and on...also in sync. I tried disconnecting the
alternator...this did nothing). At constant RPM, at any speed and in any
gear, it runs wonderfully. The choke is functioning, and the position has
no effect on the sputtering. The carbs were rerbuilt by Jim Taylor in
Oklahoma just a few months ago and the car ran fine for over a month after
I reinstalled them. I've replaced the plugs, checked the timing and points
gap, and checked for fuel flow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'll say "Thanks!" in
advance.

A reply to the list is fine, or feel free to contact me directly if you like.

Regards,

Alan Lott
Auburn University

1971 MGB