mgs

Re: Midget Runs, then dies....Continued

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>,
Subject: Re: Midget Runs, then dies....Continued
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:44:28 -0400
Steve Byers wrote:
> Well, you learn something everyday on this list!  My Midget (which I have
> owned for 10 years) came to me with a ballast resistor mounted on the right
> inner fender in the engine compartment.

  If you mean the little unit on top of the cylinder box, that
is the distributor power resistor, not the ballast resistor.

  That little gizmo is supposed to drop the current going through
the distributors electronic ignition system. It's also there to
get really hot while debugging something and burn the bejeezus
out of your hand.

  I wouldn't disconnect that if you are running the original
distributor, might cause too much current in the unit and
some damage.

> I checked the wiring diagram, and it doesn't identify
> one.

  It may not be labelled because it's not a component in
the standard sense bolted somewhere, it's a wire. It's
drawn in as a long squiggly line, the standard resistor
symbol.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada