Re: Temp sensor position

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Temp sensor position
From: Simon & Donna <sdaustin@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:45:15 -0800
I believe I'm running pretty much the same engine as Barrie (Rover 3.5) but
with RV8 headers (sorry, Barrie, can't remember if you have these or not),
extra-tall, 4-core rad, twin RB original fans mounted in the stock location,
no extra shrouding or ducting other than an ST spoiler to direct air into
the lower section of the rad. So far, I've not had any cooling issues.  I
have my fans controlled by a thermo-switch attached to the back-side of the
rad at the top tank.  It's not even installed inside a rad hose.  I usually
set it to come on when the temp gauge reaches half-way between the N and H
and the fans will cool the engine back to the N, even in traffic.

As Kelvin mentioned, these fans seem to do a fair bit of cooling.

My fans are also wired to the key so will shut off when the car is turned
off.  Maybe not the best way but if the car is really hot, I'll open the
hood.  Perhaps Barrie's fans should be wired live to help cool after the
engine is turned off?

Subject: Temp sensor position