Clutch Problems

To: tswrace@pacbell.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Problems
From: GrayTesla@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:02:57 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
<<Tom said: "I have had clutch slippage problems with my 302 TR3A ever since
my last rebuilt.  I am on my seconf clutch now and it slips too in higher
gears.   The problems seems to be too much horse power combined with a 10 inch
clutch." >>

>From the "For what it's worth department,"

> I've built two 215 engines, one a Buick swapped into a Vega and the other
> an Oldsmobile version placed into a Corvair and neither experienced clutch
> problems. The Vega was geared quite high and was trouble free. The Olds
>version
> in the Corvair ran high (13.5 to 1) compression, had 3.08 gears are used a
> four button ceramic clutch disk. Both cars were driven vigorously without
> incident for many years. Standard clutch covers (pressure plates) were used
>in
> both cases.

   Of course, Tom's 302 engine likely had greater torque output than either
of my