Re: Cooling in relation to water speed

To: Carl Floyd <cmfloyd@chartertn.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling in relation to water speed
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:27:15 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Carl,
Links describing the problem or links describing the solution? Actually, no, for either case. I discovered the problem in the new "how to power tune the rover V8" book. The book describes the solution in clear enough terms, and with drawings that you can take to a machinist. In essence, you take out the old sleeve, bore some more aluminum out, but not all the way down the cylinder, because you are trying to leave a "shelf" of aluminum at the bottom that the new sleeve will rest on. Or you can make a sleeve with a lip at the top, and create the shelf at the top of the deck. Either way, you need a sleeve that is thick enough to become the structural element, not just the wearing surface. In essence, you are turning it into a "wet" sleeve, like some of the aluminum honda engines, and I think like the Northstar. While there will still be some aluminum around the new sleeve, it no longer serves any purpose.
One clarification that I forgot to make: The aluminum cracking doesn't necessarily lead to the water leak, it has to become loose enough that sleeve actually drops, which then allows water to seep up the side of the sleeve, into the CC. Also, if the sleeve drops far enough, the crank could hit it. So, back to my point: You may have a crack without any problems.
JJJ

Carl Floyd wrote:

Now having said all that, the big-bore factory Rovers do crack, nearly every time the coolant gets above 190, because the factory was too cheap during the redesign to increase wall thickness between the sleeves and the water jacket. It's not a structural problem, and can be fixed.
James,

Do have any links?
Thanks,

Carl Floyd