Rover Gearbox Tunnel Modifications

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rover Gearbox Tunnel Modifications
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:07:34 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Looks like it is a good day to ask questions.

I'm about ready to stuff a Rover 3.5L engine into a 1977 MGB shell.  Up
to this point I understood that I would have to modify the transmission
tunnel to clear the taller Rover 5 speed gearbox that I plan on using.
I know a couple of ways of modifying the tunnel  (Glen Towery big
hammer, Roger Williams fabricated tunnel section).

I received some images from a gentleman (sorry, can't remember the name)
of the transmission tunnel on his Rover transmission equipped car and it
does not have any modifications that I can see.  I have heard a vague
rumor that installing the Rover box in a later B with the (rubber
bumper) V8 cross-member there is enough clearance for the Rover box
without modification if the original MGB V8 type engine mounts are used.

Does anybody out there have input one way or another?  (Besides throwing
away the Rover box and getting a T5)

Folks that found they had to modify the tunnel?
Folks that did not have to modify the tunnel?

The answer would probably save me at least one engine stabbing trial.

Thanks

Kelvin Dodd