RE: Splutter - splutter

To: "'Barrie Robinson'" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Splutter - splutter
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:01:44 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
While you may have more than one problem, it seems worth looking at the
cooling system as well.  I can't answer your water pump question, but I had
lots of overheating problems until I was able to bleed the cooling system
properly.  I started with an air bleed in the heater line, but I could never
get the air out that way.  Ultimately I put a small line into the thermostat
neck and connected it to my pressurized surge tank.  Now the system self
bleeds the entire time it is running.

It seems to me that there is no electrical reason for the carb to be
scalding to the touch.  There shouldn't be any advantageous path for
electricity that goes through the carb.  If the engine is hitting 230
degrees or more because the cooling system is air locked, then there is
every reason to think that the rest of the engine bay parts are just as hot.

A kitchen thermometer or pyrometer helps here.  Check the radiator near the
inlet, check your hoses, thermostat neck, etc.  If the cooling system is
functioning then everything should be near the same temp when the engine is
fully warm.  If the rad is relatively cold than you can bet the engine is
not cooling correctly.

Good luck.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8