bad MGB, bad bad

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: bad MGB, bad bad
From: "bquietroy" <bquietroy@neo.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:35:30 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I need some help from all you MGB experts, even though the one I am fixing for
someone is a 76 with the original powerplant.
As a hobby I have been fixing British cars for near 30 years and have yet to
find one that I cannot figure out and get running again to the best of it's
ability,... until now.
Got a call from a guy who had his MGB sitting for some months because it died
and he could not get it started. I dove into it and found that some knothead
had used radiator overflow hose as a substitute for fueline at the pump. It
deteriated over time and just broke. I replaced it and the other hard as a
rock fuel lines and it started right up. The rear plugs kept fouling out so I
drained the tank and replaced the fuel with fresh stuff. Solved that problem.
Car would idle pretty good, but even when warm, it would bog out if driven.
This thing had no acceleration potential at all.  I commenced to reset the
timing, by connecting the distributor vacuum in front of the throttle plate
instead of directly into the intake manifold. I cleaned out the distributor of
crud and reset the air gap of the electronic ignition to .014". (My best guess
as to what the gap should be) I also removed the single Zenith carb and
cleaned out the bowl of 2 small gobs of red silicone. I cleaned it all up blew
out every hole I could find, replaced the diaphragm, set the floats, and put
it back on with new gaskets.
After all this, it is somewhat driveable as long as you do not try and
accelerate. As you press down on the gas it barely goes and takes forever to
get up to any speed. As your speed increases somewhat, and you back off on the
throttle slightly you  find a spot that it seems to want to accelerate but
quickly goes back to its shitty self. No guts at all.
Basically, it seems to lack metered fuel to match the air intake. I tried a
new solid state fuel pump and no difference.
Any body out there got a hot idea on what this can be. What should be the
distributor airgap setting be? I cannot find any number anywhere.
I had a similar experience with a TR6 that broke down on acceleration and it
turned out to be point gap/dwell.
I'm stumped and  wasting my own time trying to solve the no accel problem.
Help!!!!