Re: Stainless & rusting

To: barrier@bconnex.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stainless & rusting
From: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:58:52 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
  At first, I thought that the SS would just be inert, like putting plastic
fasteners on steel.  However, I've removed SS bolts and found rusted steel
underneath the SS washers.  I remember the galvanic reactions being the
reason for putting an active metal (anode?) like zinc into the mix to
sacrifice in place of the steel.  Since SS alloys are the less active metal
of the pair, the mild steel should suffer the oxidation in galvanic series
reaction.    It makes me wonder about SS bolts for engine components, too.
Do we need to concern ourselves with aluminum water pumps and heads with
regard to the washers?  What about mild steel headers?  No SS bolts there,
too?
   As much as I hate to admit it, I'd like some engineer to let us know the
physics on this... briefly.