Re: Stainless & rusting

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>, british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stainless & rusting
From: Jim Miller <v8mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 07:21:03 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The term is galvanic corrosion.   Yes, stainless steal
will cause galvanic corrosion when in contact with
dissimilar metals.  The advantage of stainless is the
bolt wont rust to the nut and the bolt and nut will
stay shinny.  Just the zinc plating on a common bolt
will produce galvanic corrosion. Stainless steal is
made up of iron and nickel.  The level of iron and
nickel produce different grades of stainless and lower
grades (less nickel) of stainless will rust on their
own.