Good News & Bad (Engine Questions)

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Good News & Bad (Engine Questions)
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The good news is that my MGB is back in my garage
after a very long weekend of driving to Maine to get
it from the paint shop.  I was almost embarrassed
cutting a check for $460 for all the work he did. He
replaced two fenders (I provided fenders) pulled two
dents, took the car to bare metal, painted the trunk,
painted underside of hood, and painted the rest of the
car with base / clear.  Total bill was $460, $300
labor, $160 materials.  It looks great, no its not a
concourse paint job, but still got a lot of thumbs up
on the trailer on the way home.

I just heard from my engine shop.

My '89 Range Rover 3.9L engine needs:

1.  Cylinders bored.  I'll need oversize pistons.
He'll need to bore the cylinders before I know the
oversize.
2.  Exhaust valves.
3.  New guides (all 16).
4.  Camshaft.
5.  Lifters.
6.  Timing Chain.
7.  Complete gasket set for 3.9.
8.  Bearings.
9.  He hasn't measured the crank yet to see if it
needs to be turned.

I know I can get the cam and lifters from either Ted
or JEGs etc.  I don't know where to get the rest of
the parts without going to a Rover parts place and
paying a rediculous amount of money.

Any suggestions on parts suppliers other than either
online Rover parts places or the local Rover
dealership?

Thanks,

Glenn
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com