Re: Cooling the Beast

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling the Beast
From: "Allen Wulf" <wulfmgbv8@home.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:26:32 -0600
Cc: "MGB-V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 3:58 PM
Subject: Cooling the beast

> There seems to be little formal data on cooling MGBs when a V8 is dropped
> in.  I have been battling the problem and juggling CFMs with space, water
> pump mods, dropping sway bars and a myriad of other things.  Would those
> who have running V8s like to contribute towards a loosey-goosey data base
> on cooling by filling in the details below.
>
> Engine   Buick 215 from '63 Skylark
>
> Radiator  MGB-V8
>
> Mechanical fan  Y/N  No
>
> Air Conditioning   Y/N   NO
>
> Electric fan
>          size (dia of blade)  14 "
>          rated CFM
> 14" puller fan from Autozone.  Don't know the CFM

> County/Province/State
> Western Suburb of Denver, Colorado

> Performance
>          A = Absolutely fine
>          B = Fine but could be better
>          C = Needs to be improved

         B    Also, have homemade through the fender RV8 style headers.
Temperature runs between 190 and 200 in the summer.  Climbing in the mountains
it sometimes goes up to 212, but cools to between 180 and 190 when coasting.
I'm using a 180 thermostat.  Now, with temperatures in the 50s and 60s the
cooling fan rarely runs.  I using the stock valance with the two holes.  Will
probably add some duct work to direct all air through the radiator.

Al Wulf
'67 MGB-V8 Conversion
Wheat Ridge, CO