Progress Report - The Hood Shuts!!

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Progress Report - The Hood Shuts!!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:59:51 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Despite the cold weather I managed to get a little work done in the
garage last weekend and the hood now shuts with the air cleaner in place
and I haven't had to pull the engine since I initially put it in.
Thanks to all who responded to my plea of help in where the dampener
should be in relation to the steering rack.  I especially appreciated
the pictures that people sent as well as the descriptions.  It seems
that my engine sits a little higher and a little further back than does
the engine in a lot of the MG V8s.  The back of the dampener flange is
above the steering rack about 1/4 inch where on a lot of the cars it
sits in front of and below the top of the steering rack.  However, by
using a Mr. Gasket air cleaner and with a little tweaking with my
hydraulic press (I pressed the base in an extra 3/8 - inch and then
pressed the front of the base in a little more so that the air cleaner
tilts slightly forward), the hood now closes easily and I didn't even
have to tweak the motor mounts.  As an added benefit the engine is back
far enough so that the standard water pump easily clears the radiator,
though the metal fan that I have bolted on sticks up a little too high -
I think that I will go with an electric fan.  I also tweaked the flanges
on the radiator mounts so that they mate properly with the inner fenders
(the DPO had removed the original ones - luckily I scored a new pair on
eBay), luckily I've been mounting them with sheet metal screws so that I
know that they are properly lined up before I weld them in place.  Here
is a link to a picture of the engine sitting in my car:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mgtrautoxr/_uimages/78_MG_V8_Hood_Closes.JPG
Take care everyone and thanks for all of the good advice!

Kevin Brown  '78 MGB V8  '66 MGB  '71 MGB  '54 MGTF 1500 RHD, '74 TR6,
'89 MR2  '98 GTP
Odessa, MO