Re: Wire wheel tube protection thingy

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel tube protection thingy
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@solve.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:25:50 -0600
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Barrie Robinson wrote:

> Has anyone harbour experience using duct tape wrapped around wire wheels as
> protection against the tube chaffing?  I have been told duct tape is better
> than using the rubber thingys that they used in the past - (available from
> Victoria British????)

 Actually, Barrie, duct tape could be worse than the rubber band things.
Believe
it, or not, the following is absolutely true:  I bought a new set of tires for
my
wire wheeled Austin Healey a 4 years ago.  New tires, new tubes, and stuff.  Off
toward the AH conclave in Michigan I went.  Within 200 miles, I felt the RR
going
down.  I changed the tire and northward I went some more.  Before I got out of
Illinois, the LF was going down.  I had travelled about 350 miles by now.

I found a tire place where the tire guy had his name sewn on a patch on his
shirt.  You know the type--grey hair, bifocals (the Larry Hoy type).  Anyway, he
broke down the tires and chuckled at me.  Here's the hard to believe part-it was
the DOT stickers inside the tires that had chafed through two tubes and was
making good progress on the other two.

His recommendation: stick w/ the original idea.  He made strips out of my old
tubes (I, by now, had 4 worthless new tubes) and put them over the spoke ends.
He also liberally applied tire talc to both the inside of the tire and the tube
and mounted the tires.

Epilogue:Three years and about 15,000 miles later, I sold the car and had not
had
a single tire problem.

YMMV

--