Re: Gear Ratio Chart

To: Bruce <brucemills@dccnet.com>, MGB Newsgroup <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Ratio Chart
From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 07:20:23 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
--- Bruce <brucemills@dccnet.com> wrote:
> I have a gear ratio chart for Excel if any is
> interseted. You enter tire
> size, rear end ratio and the gear ratio and you get
> something like the
> following
> In my case Tire size 185/74/14
> Tire Dia 24.93
> Tire Width 7.28
> Rear End Ratio 3.91
>
> 1st Gear 2.95  at 5000 rpm  32 mph
> 2nd Gear 1.94 at 5000 rpm 49 mph
> 3rd Gear 1.34 at 5000 rpm 71 mph
> 4th Gear 1.00 at 5000 rpm 95 mph
> 5th Gear 0.63 at 500 rpm 151 mph
>
> Fairly impressive, but where can you go 151 and do
> you really want to in a
> B?
>
> Bruce
>Hello,
    i have seen some Very Sporting MG-B SCCA machines
that are quite capable of over 130mph in a straight
line with the 1798 engine in a "well prodified" state
of tune..these cars had no wings or other devices
fitted; relying on a god for hard "suspension" system
and a very detirmined driver.
yours, Howard
1976 B roadster
1974 bGT