RE: Cooling

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, "'Jim Stuart'" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Cooling
From: Simon Holt <simon.holt@tdsi.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:16:24 -0000
Cc: "mgb-v8@autox.team.net" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Thanks, Paul & Jim

I'm sure now its an airlock. I took the car for a good run yesterday,
and at one point I realised the heater had been gradually cooling down
when it suddenly started pushing out hot air again. As for the gauge,
when it settles down it reads as expected; the problem really is the
wild fluctuation before that happens (and of course that's only a
problem if any part of the engine is running too hot; if not, then the
black tape over the gauge is the answer!)

Although I'm not a slave to concours or originality, my car is an early
factory model - #127 making it contemporaneous with the Press cars.
So I'm looking for a solution which involve no mods or easily-reversible
mods.

I'm assuming that if I can get rid of the airlock by careful bleeding, and
keep enough coolant in the header tank, then no new air can enter the
system.

Simon Holt