Re: Thinking about going 8

To: Daniel Pruett <jpruett@tfb.com>, "mgb-v8@autox.team.net" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Thinking about going 8
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 98 19:45:26 PDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I'm probably about halfway through a conversion.  Most of the work,
particularly on the later cars, is getting parts together.

What I've spent so far:

        Rover 3.9 EFI V-8 with 63k miles        $900
        flywheel  (had auto on it)              $85
        bellhousing                             $100 (plus some trading)
        gearbox (from TR-7)                     $75
        electric cooling fans                   $80
        tranny x-member (from a 'yard)          $10
        fuel pump (from a 'yard)                $20

still need:
        new engine parts (my decision)
        radiator
        various hoses and so forth
        fuel tank for injection
        driveshaft

For a '77 you need:  engine, gearbox, fans, radiator, and
modified tranny crossmember.  Other than that, depending on
your choice of intake systems (I'm using the later hotwire,
which means I'm putting a power bulge with hot air exhausts
on my bonnet) you may need some sheetmetal mods, but otherwise
pretty much a drop in job.  If you are a good horse-trader,
you can get away with $3k or so on a swap, which isn't much
considering a nice hot rebuilt 'B engine will run $1500 or so.

Best advice:  buy the "how to give your MGB V-8 power" book.

As far as your quote is concerned, a lot of men, from Socrates
to Jefferson, have been accused of corrupting the young men,
by making them think for themselves.  I am quite happy to say
sir, I am that corrupt young man.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/