Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Oil issue

To: mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Re: Oil issue
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:12:40 -0600
I stopped today at my local IHC TRACTOR dealer and inquired about their
oils.  We have many farmers around here still using 50's (IHC models M,
C, H, Super M, 720, etc.) and up gas tractors for yard work, with Farm
Hands, and some heavy duty work. All of these engines are flat tappet.
Since these are "off road" vehicles, it may be some time before their
oil formulations change.

They have two types of oils:

One is a Low ash ("Designed for heavy-duty service in gasoline, LPG,
...") available in SAE 10W and SAE 30.  The Zinc content is 0.16%. I've
got the spec sheet if you want more information. They had this for sale
at $16.00/gal.

The other is "For Diesel Engines" available in 10W, 10W-30, 30, 15W-40,
0W30, and 20W-50. Zinc content on all of these grades is 0.17%.  I saw a
5 gallon pail for $50 or what would be $10/gal. The spec sheet also says
"Suitable for transmissions and hydraulic systems where engine oil is
recommended."

I also stopped at "Tractor Supply", commonly called TSC. They couldn't
tell me the zinc content of their "gold" lable products, but gave me a
number to call.

REgards,
Blake