Fault diagnosis

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fault diagnosis
From: "drmoyce" <drmoyce@ent-oakland.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:18:38 -0800
I couldn't find my carburetor tools, including the balancing gauge, so
for the first time I took the TD to a trusted Brit car mechanic for
adjustment a few weeks ago.  The suspicion was that I was running rich.
He adjusted, and things seemed fine.  Then for a few weeks the car sat
without use, and when we took it out there was misfiring and backfires.
On the road I  found that the rotor seat was covered with rust,  cleaned
it out and things seemed fine (I have Pertronix ignition.)

A recent trip involved both freeway and back roads.  There was some
hesitation getting started, but things ran well on the freeway.  I did
note that the temperature was about 10 degrees above my normal running
temp, even though outside temperature was in the upper 60s. After
getting off the freeway the car is very sluggish starting out, like it's
firing on three cylinders, sometimes with a backfire or two.  It seems
to clear out until the next stop sign, then limps away, settling down to
normal after a couple hundred yards. The idle is rough. Sparkplug tips
look picture perfect.

I guess I need to take it back to the mechanic, but I was wondering what
opinions the listers might have as to the nature of the problem.

Andy Moyce
52 TD