Re: Brake Light Switch

To: wtsnyder@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Brake Light Switch
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:35:15 -0400
Bill,
   The switch on the car should have had infinite resistance if it's
working right -- no movement of the needle.  Needle moves when the
circuit is complete.  I'm thinking that you are getting the right
movement on the gauge but interpreting it backwards.
  Since the lights light when the two wires are connected ( as would be
done with foot on the pedal) that indicates the light circuit itself is
working right. The problem must be, as you suggested,  switch or pressure
retained in the system.  And the switch seems to be OK.
   It is easier to replace hoses than to R&R the master cylinder.   I
would try that first, in hopes that the hoses are the culprits, though
not ruling out the MC cups.
   Also, run you fingers over all the metal brake tubing, checking all
the straps and the areas where it enters the clamp screws into wheel
cylinder.
   I don't believe you can see the cup and the return hole inside the MC.
Careful measurement might tell the tale. Comparison with a cup known to
be good, perhaps from another MC or a new kit, might show a difference in
size if the present cup has swollen in the silicone fluid.
   You have certainly been diligent about this problem; you're about due
for a bit of good luck.
Bob