Re: Skyhook....5 speed

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Skyhook....5 speed
From: "Richard Dell" <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:38:39 -0500
Thanks everyone, for the info on suppliers of conversions.

I may well do this in order to get the MGTF out and see more sunlight.

Part of my problem is that the previous owners (a lady and her teenage
daughter) were both
unfamiliar with driving a manual transmission, and after I rebuilt the engine I
discovered how bad
the transmission is.

(They also didn't know much about keeping it filled with oil, resulting in a
spun rod bearing and
two bad rods.) I bought it as-is, and did the engine rebuild years ago. Great
joy at hearing it run
was quickly tempered with the awareness of the condition of the tranny.

Basically I have to start out in second gear, and shifting is not the most
pleasant task.

So my choice is to have this one rebuilt, or do the change. Of course there is
always the dilemma
of keeping a car original or making modifications, and I would never consider
an engine change, but
I think that I'm ready to do the transmission conversion.

I don't think that I've ever heard anyone complain about the change once it is
done.

Thanks again.

Dick Dell
Raleigh, NC