Startup Problems

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Startup Problems
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:47:48 -0500
Thanks to Bob, Scott and others for their replies.

I connected a test light from the points clip to the distributor base.
With the #1 cylinder at TDC, I slowly rotated the distributor body until
the light went on. I repeated the process with a voltage tester, then
tighened the distributor bolt. So, I aasume the I have correctly set
static timing.

The engine still will not fire with ignition on, max choke, then
engaging the starter switch. I've got fresh battery to get good
rotation. Oil pressure rises pretty quickly to about 45lbs while
cranking. Only about twice have I heard a small pop like a cylinder
fired during multiple attempts. Float bowls in the carbs are full. I
tried a little starter fluid spray down the air intake with no luck. I
replaced the plugs with new