Re: Cleaning and Polishing Number Plates.

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning and Polishing Number Plates.
From: "S. Allen" <sallen3663@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:26:30 -0400
Ah well, you almost always will and it's better to do it early so you
can learn how to deal with it in the long run.

To do it right a multi-speed Dremel tool is very helpful.  If you
don't have one you probably should anyway as you'll be surprised how
many uses it has.  Get the polishing attachments, use it on the lowest
speed and put the metal cleaner on the polishing wheel, (not the
plate) and carefully go to work.  Have a rag within arm's reach to
wipe up the excess

If you don't have a Dremel carefully use a polishing cloth with a the
cleaner.  Again, have a rag handy to wipe up the excess.

Stick some 3"-5" cards behind the plate so you're only getting polish
on the plate not the car.  You can also bend them up to keep splatter
from going anywhere.

If you need to touch up the lettering get a "0" sable brush with a
point and either model paint or oils to match the color.  Carefully
re-letter.  If you get it outside the lines you have a choice: wipe it
or scrape it.

If you wipe it you use the rag I told you about to carefully wipe
before it dries.  Don't use any solvents as some will etch the brass.

If you scrape it wait till it's dry and use the sharp edge of a small
wooden dowel to scrape it off, (wood won't scratch the brass).  A
toothpick will work in a pinch.  If you have any ragged edges clean
them up with a hobby knife.

Hope this helps?