Front end shake

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front end shake
From: "Stuart C. Keen, Jr." <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:08:11 -0400
The front end of my 1951 TD use to shake badly at 55 mph with disc wheels
installed. The problem finally disappeared after the MG mechanic in Tampa
took a sledge hammer to the disk wheels in a brute force attempt to
straighten the bent rims. It seemed to work. He also stated the local tire
companies (2) had incorrectly balanced the wheels.

Yesterday I converted to wire wheels. The shudder/shake is back again at 55
mph. New conversion kit and #452 15 x 4.5 60 SS spoke Dayton wheels were
installed. I also installed new (sealed) inner and outer bearings on the
front axle. The wheels and spokes were supposedly checked by British Wire
Wheels before shipment. Why am I getting the shakes  with all NEW wheel
components and how can I eliminate it?

Here is what I have done so far:

1) The five used but nearly new Coker 165R15 tires with radial tubes were
removed from the disc wheels and installed on the Dayton wheels and balanced
by a local, reputable tire company. On my first drive on the interstate, I
noticed the shakes at 55 mph.

2). Returned home, then I slowly turned each wheel/tire and checked its
trueness using a dial indicator on the side. There was a slight wavering
(like 0.23 inches variance overall) but barely noticeable by  watching the
tread from the front. I put the two best  wheels/tires on the front. This
did not improve performance.

3) I then lowered the air pressure from 30 lbs to 28 lbs. This did not
improve the performance either. When I received the wheels from the tire
company, they had inflated them to 38 lbs. I suspect this was to set the
tires within the rims. I (fortunately) lowered the pressure to 30 lbs before
driving on them.

4) When I installed the hubs into the new brake drums, I checked that they
all seated properly. I have now checked the tightness of all six nuts on
each hub, and they are secure.

Every time I have changed tires on this car, I have had this identical
shaking problem. But now I am at an impasse because I cannot think of
anything other fix to try.

What else should I be checking? I am thinking about getting the wheels
rebalanced, but since I rotated the tires once in the last two days and thus
different tires have been on the front, I suspect balance may not be a
culprit unless ALL FIVE WHEELS were incorrectly balanced.

Stu Keen
1951 MG TD Mark II