What's going on?

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's going on?
From: "Stuart C. Keen, Jr." <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:24:36 -0400
I have just finished converting my 1951 TD to wire wheels. I am confused
about the threads.

1) The front left axle castle nut has LEFT hand threads - i.e. you turn it
counterclockwise to TIGHTEN.

2) But the threads for the wire wheel knock-off (marked "Left (Near) Side")
for the SAME wheel are opposite, i.e. it has RIGHT hand threads -  you turn
it clockwise to TIGHTEN.

Why are they not the same threads for the same wheel ???????

I would appreciate someone explaining the logic behind the opposite treads
and how the knockoff tends to tighten itself when driving forward. Perhaps
it's just a case of basic physics that I don't understand.

Stu Keen

1951 MGTD Mark II