Re: Engine for TF1500

To: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Engine for TF1500
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 08:54:19 -0400
Andy,
We do need an opinion from the other end of the spectrum.
A Volvo B18 or B20 engine is the perfect choice.  I've not seen one in a
TF, but I suspect it will fit better than a TD.  The problem in a TD is
you need about another 3/4" or so to clear the front air cleaner. TFs
have more room there.   Advantages are 1) much more power - a stock 1800
with B18 was listed at 108 hp, with a B20, 115 hp. You can easily
upgrade to over 120 without driveability problems.  The fuel injected
versions were listed at 125 - low compression, 130 - high compression
2) Plentiful  3) Relatively inexpensive, even to rebuild.  Parts are
readily available.  Blake's option below would easily run over $6K,
probably over $7, even doing the removal and installation yourself.  You
could buy a Volvo engine for around $100, put $2.5 K into rebuilding it
and have a bullet-proof runner.  4) An overdrive transmission can be
installed at the same time to give you better highway cruising,
basically a 5th gear, cost-another $250 5) A better engine, newer
design, 5 main bearings, better design of crank seal, etc., etc.  6)
Very little to no cutting of the body or frame, easily put back to
stock, though with these advantages, no one would want to.  7) Looks
close to correct; carbs on the correct side, not like MGA or MGB engine;
shifter is at the correct spot, you can use a stock carpet kit; Exhaust
stays on the same side, not like an MGA or MGB engine.
The engine shown on the attachments is in a friend's TD who also happens
to have two warehouses full of vintage Volvo cars and parts.  I've
driven his car many times, and it is very sweet.  The major problems are
that the stock brakes aren't up to the performance of the car and it
could use a front anti sway bar to help the handling. Both of these can
be corrected with later MG parts.  It still feels like a TD, but with no
problem getting up hills or driving on the highway.  The lack of power
and feeling of fragility just goes away.
I can refer anyone interested in a Volvo conversion to him for price
information on Volvo components.  Of course there are other vintage
Volvo parts dealers all over the country/world that can supply the
required items.
Those of you on the list that can't get the attachments, contact me for
the pictures, if interested.
Charlie

Bud Krueger wrote:

> My vote goes along with Blake, 100%.
> Bud Krueger
> 52TD
>
> yd3@nvc.net wrote:
>
>> Andy:
>>
>> <<<Snip>>>
>> TF is asking if there are other engines that will fit
>> <<<Snip>>>
>>
>> IMO:
>>
>> What's wrong with a well built strong 1500 engine?  Why would you want
>> to bastardize the car?  If you want more power out of it, a cheaper,
>> easier, and more appropriate solution would be to supercharge.  You
>> should be able to get 100 HP or better that way.  Surely that's enough
>> to wreck the car.
>>
>> Late the flame wars begin as I know many readers won't agree.
>>
>> Blake

JoesTDengine1.JPG]

JoesTDengine4.jpg]