Re: TC Clutch Adjustment

To: "Leinen, Robert" <rleinen@ci.dearborn.mi.us>
Subject: Re: TC Clutch Adjustment
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:32:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:04 -0400, Leinen, Robert wrote:

> I have detected some clutch slippage and need to adjust the clutch on my
> 1948 TC.  The Blower manual specifies 1" of free play in the peddle
> (which I understand) and 3" movement on the linkage up to the stop.  My
> question regards the 3" adjustment, i.e., is it 3" on the nose or a
> maximum or minimum of 3"?  What am I likely to find before I make an
> adjustment given that I have some minimal clutch slippage - a
> measurement that is greater than 3" or less than 3"?

The 1 inch free play at the pedal is to make sure there is no pressure on
the release bearing when the clutch is engaged.  If you have no free play
at all, then it's possible the slipping is due to the fact that the
pressure plate is being held in a partially released position all the
time.

The 3 inch clutch arm adjustment is to limit how far the release bearing
can travel.  If it moves too far it will in turn move the release levers
in the pressure plate too far, possibly damaging the pressure plate
assembly.  It isn't a minimum or maximum setting, but high precision isn't
necessary.  Adjust it as close to 3 inches as you can reasonably measure
with a ruler or similar.

Except in the unlikely case of negative pedal free play that is holding
the clutch partially disengaged, neither adjustment is likely to solve
your slippage problem.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland