Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: Why do (or did) the British drive on the left.
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:12:16 -0500
Blake,
   Old writings I've seen usually agree with your thoughts about
right-handedness, swords hanging and all that.  It's said that Europeans
and the Brits all mounted horses and travelled on left side of the road
until the French Revolution. At that time, it's said, France chose to be
different in this respect and switched travel sides, though not
horse-mounting sides.  The USA, still smarting from the recent
unhappiness of 1776 and then 1812, standardised on the French side.
   I can't cite a single source for this, however.
Bob