Re: coil polarity

To: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: coil polarity
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 09:55:31 -0800
Conventional wisdom states that the hotter (center) electrode should be
at the negative potential to make current flow easier in the spark
plug.  This is taking a page from electron vacuum tube (valve if you are
British) theory of the electrons being boiled of of a hot cathode.  This
negative potential to the center electrode can be ensured by observing
the proper connections to the primary terminals of the coil.  Does all
of this really work?  I really don't know, in that I have never
conducted any tests to see if, in fact the proper connections to the
primary terminals makes any difference.  I suspect that the only time
any difference could be felt is in an engine that is performing
marginally to start with, in which case it should be tuned up or
repaired anyway.  I have always ensured that the coils in our MGs are
connected in accordance to the markings on the primary terminals just
because it is not that big a job to do and I am somewhat anal about
everything being as it should be anyway.

Cheers,
Dave