Re: TF dip stick

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: TF dip stick
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:46:35 -0500
  Yes, unfortunately.   Look carefully down the length of the tube.  If
it's bent at all, the dipstick binds in the tube.  Most frequent cause of
the bending is laying the block on that side when it is out of the car.
  Straightening a tube to original perfection is hard work.  One way is
to push a rod of the correct ID down the tube, which forces the tube to
straighten in order that the rod can move deeper.  But...my concern is
that that could pull off a shard from either the rod or inside of the
tube, so when I faced the problem I used a birch dowel.
  I worked it in by hand until it stuck, then tapped it gently with a
hammer, hand-bent the tube a bit until the dowel would move further, and
repeated many times.  The dipstick is still more snug than I would like,
but it's sure never going to vibrate out.
  Next time I remove an engine, I am going to look into removing the
dipstick tube before the engine is set on the floor.  It's just too
tempting to lay it on its side.
Bob