Re: Car Haulers

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Haulers
From: "Seaweednh" <seaweednh@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:07:09 -0400
Gene,

Thanks for the kind words.  If any one is wondering about the Carlisle
system we installed, it was a wireless remote control electric brake
controller.  This system is used by some rental houses, like Taylor Rental
for example.  This allows them to rent a trailer to a customer who does not
have a electric brake controller in the cab.  Any trailer with a GVWR of
3,000 lbs or more "must" have brakes and be controlled from inside the cab.
Of course the surge brakes are out there as well, just don't get caught by
the DOT.  The electric brake system has three parts, there is a box that
mounts to the tongue of the trailer and is wired into the light circuit, a
17 amp breakaway battery that also powers the control box on the tongue, and
the most important part that the DOT looks for, the remote control
transmitter that plugs into your cigarette lighter. With this remote you can
regulate the amount of brake pressure applied to the trailer brakes ( loaded
VS. un-loaded) and also enables you to apply only the trailer brakes  (for
example, if you are on icy or wet roads, or the trailer starts to push the
tow vehicle)  The controller also warns you if your running lights are off.
Your running lights must be on to charge the battery.

For those of you out there with surge brakes, Carlisle also makes a similar
unit to have in cab hydraulic brake control as well.  This system is also
DOT approved.

Gene, once again for the kind words and the ride in "Elliot"

Regards,
Ron Boisvert
Raymond, NH
52 MGTD