Generator Field Polarity?

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Generator Field Polarity?
From: "Parkinson,Ron" <RParkinson@AMESTEXTILE.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:23:08 -0400
Dear Listers,

My Generator on a '53 TD developed a short and is out for repair and in
the meantime I put on a spare.  I am developing good voltage (tested by
Jumping the F & D and taking a voltage reading to ground but it is
discharging the car instead of charging.  I was told I had to change the
magnetic polarity by sparking the F or field to the battery but that
didn't get me anywhere (I may have been too timid with it).  I am
running positive ground and this generator may have been run negative, I
don't know.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  It may be a while before my generator
comes home and I hate to miss the weather.

Ron Parkinson

Newton, MA

2- '53 TDs