Engine Roughness

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Roughness
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:26:03 -0400
The other day I was doing some of the usual routine maintenance on the
car, mostly the lubrication required at 500 and 1000 mile intervals.
After I was done I took the car for a drive and found the engine ran
rough, mostly on acceleration. At idle, no problem is noticeable and
it's only slightly noticeable when just cruising at a steady speed.

One of the lubrication items I attended to was adding oil to the carb
dashpots. The problem I'm getting seems to be exactly what this is
supposed to prevent, if I'm reading the manuals correctly. Could I have
done something wrong here? Some of the books tell you to "check" the
level...but check it against what? Is there a way to tell that you have
the right amount of oil in the dashpots?

One other thing I did at the same time was oil the insides of the
distributor, again as described in the owner's manual. If I did get
something on the contacts in there I can certainly see where that would
cause the engine to run rough, but wouldn't that make it run rough ALL
the time, not just when accelerating?

Engines are still a bit of a mystery to me. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

--Nels Anderson
  1953 MGTD 28177