Re: Different Fenders for Armstrong vs Girling Shocks?

To: wtsnyder@juno.com
Subject: Re: Different Fenders for Armstrong vs Girling Shocks?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:02:03 -0400
Bill,
  The parts book shows Girlings being the "Damper complete front" , part
E136023, and the "Alternative Armstrong Shock Absorbers" part 500533, but
does not (unlike other changes) show the starting chassis # for the
change.
   Chip Olds, in his T Series Handbook, writes "The vast majority of TDs
left Abingdon with Luvax Girling dampers, but later were replaced by
Armstrong. On Most Armstrong-equipped TDs the front wings were dimpled to
provide clearance over the taller dampers, and I have been told (but
cannot verify) that the chassis bracket for the engine stabiliser was
also modified as a result. The Service Parts List shows both types of
dampers but does not tell us when the switch from Girling to Armstrong
was made. The change was apparently made some time during 1953, but
exactly when is unknown."
   TDC 21934 seems to have been built in November 1952.  It has
Armstrongs and the dimpled wings.  It would seem that your car would have
had the Armstrongs at the beginning.
    I have learned today that the right Armstrong damper has three bolt
lengths.  The two short ones are outboard, the middle size is inboard
front, and the longest is inboard rear to accomodate a spacer for the
engine mount.   Left damper has two lengths.  Access to the inner bolts
is no treat.  Once loosened 1/2 turn, a 5/8 US sparkplug wrench will fit
on them well enough to turn them out, a better way than one-inch
extensions.
Bob