Re: Brake Shoes

To: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Shoes
From: Walton Smith <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:25:53 -0700 (PDT)
Nels,
Purchase a set of new shoes and save the grief. Cleaning with a solvent
will remove traces amounts, but the brake fluid will continue to leach
out over a period of time.
If you really want to try solvents, only use a non flammable product
specifically made for cleaning up brake fluid, and be sure to let it
air dry. Washing parts in solvents and drying in the oven is an open
invitation for disaster. In addition most solvents will destroy the
brakes rubber components.
Years ago we used trichloroethane (methyl chloroform)to remove small
amounts, however I'm talking about the residual amount from your finger
tips left on the shoes after doing a brake job, and not saturation from
leaking fluid.
Good Luck;
Walt

<snip>
In trying to solve my front end squeek problem I've found that one of
my
front brake cylinders is leaking. Brake fluid collected at the bottom
of
the drum and some of it got on the brake shoe; the inner edge of the
shoe shows evidence of the fluid, about 20% of the width across the
shoe.

Does this make the shoe unusable? I hate to throw it out as it's only a
year old and otherwise has plenty of life left to it.

Nels Anderson
1953 TD28177