Re:

To: mg-t@autox.team.net, mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re:
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:15:33 -0500
Clive Sherriff wrote:

> David,
>
> First thought is to use the old tank - by cleaning the inside
> thoroughly and coating it with tank sealant as was common
> practice in the aircraft industry.  This "Slosh Tank Sealant"
> is available from some car suppliers, and directly from
> MMM as 3M 776 FUEL RESISTANT COATING FUEL
> TANK SEALANT
>
> Ive used this very successfully on some quire horrendous
> leaks - just remember to take out the fuel level sender and
> any fuel filters etc first!

I used this to save a very badly rusted fuel tank on a VW camper some
years ago. The result was spectacular. First I etched out the tank with
muriatic acid (from a swimming pool supplier) and water with about a
pound of big bearing balls included. I sealed the openings with packing
tape, then filled it with the acid and water and balls through the last
opening and then sealed that. Then I shook the tank, letting the balls
break the rust off as the acid and water mix loosened and dissolved the
corrosion. I poured off the acid and water and recovered the balls, then
let the tank dry in the hot Sunlight for a couple of afternoons, then
used the sealer.

I got the sealer from an aircraft supply place. There are basically two
kinds: one for normal petrol and one for petrol with alcohol. The
coating for normal unleaded petrol will deteriorate if you use fuel with
alcohol added and since I often encountered this "gasahol" mix on the
road, I went for the extra expense and used the uprated sealer. It
worked a charm; no more rust problems.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm