Battery Question

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery Question
From: JohnOmg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:37:46 EDT
Last year the generator quit working on my 65 Jag as I pulled out of my
driveway for an out-of-town rally.  Having no time to waste, I bought an extra
battery and a digital voltmeter at Pep Boys along the way.  To save battery
power,
I avoided using the starter by roll starting and parking with the engine
running and also not using the lights.

The battery survived two 70-mile rallies and finally gave out after 350 miles
without charging -- just 50 miles from home.  Periodic voltage readings were
taken and it seems to me that the battery registered about 10 volts when the
car rolled to a stop on Interstate 75.  We then installed the backup battery.
So I guess the coil shuts down at that level.  The reason the battery lost
voltage:  I was driving with the overdrive on and the solenoid was energized.

I wonder how much farther I could have gone???  While enduring the dilemma,
nobody could give a definitive answer about how long the car would run.  And
nobody came close to guessing 350 miles!

John Olman
Cincinnati