Re: Persistent Brake Switch Problem

To: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Persistent Brake Switch Problem
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:41:55 -0700
Stu,

I agree with the others, at this time I would go for a new switch.  From
our exchange of e-mail on this subject, it seems that your problem is
getting worse as time goes on and is indicative of a failed switch.
 When I first started fussing with the brake light switches, I had one
fail even with the relay in the circuit, which is why I added  the arch
suppression circuit (0.47mfd cap across the switch and diode across the
coil of the relay) and I haven't had a problem since.  Obviously, the
replacement switches are more sensitive to arching than to actual
current draw (the relay coil only draws 200 - 250 milliamps).  It may be
necessary to experiment with the value of the capacitor, although
0.47mfd should be quite large enough to absorb any arch (maybe it is too
large?) and the diode should collapse the field around the relay coil
with no problem.

Good luck,
Dave