Persistent Brake Switch Problem

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Persistent Brake Switch Problem
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:42:33 -0400
What's going on?  I lost my brake lights and (as reported earlier)
determined that the original Lucas brake switch had failed. But the problem
continues after a new switch was installed.  Dave DuBois suggested
installing a LED near the dash so I could monitor the switch. I have done
this. Here is what is happening:

1) I removed the old Lucas switch, filled a NAPA Echlin SL144 replacement
switch with brake fluid and installed.  Switch only closed when I put
exceedingly heavy pressure on the brake pedal. However, the brakes
themselves worked fine without excessive pressure.

2) Removed the brake switch. Using a 5 psi aquarium pump and a reservoir of
new brake fluid connected to the master cylinder, I screwed in the new brake
switch as  brake fluid was dripping out. My intent was to eliminate any air
pocket that might be caught between the switch and the brake line. Still the
brake switch is erratic, only works if I pushed hard on the pedal or pump
the brakes (i.e. push the pedal several times in succession). Pumping is not
needed for good braking.

3) Bled the entire brake system, starting with Right Rear and finishing with
Front Left. Continued bleeding until I got clear brake fluid at each wheel.
The master cylinder was never allowed to go dry so no air introduced.  Still
the brake switch is erratic, only works if I pushed hard on the pedal or
pump the brakes.

What's going on???

----->   If I have to pump the pedal for the switch to actuate, then there
is possibly air somewhere in the line, not enough to effect good braking but
apparently enough to prevent the necessary pressure to close the switch.

Any ideas where this air is? I'm open to suggestions. Possibly I have air in
one of the brake cylinders themselves since bleeding the system will not
remove any air bubbles there, but I would not think this would have such a
dramatic effect - especially since the brakes work fine.

Another possibility is that the switch from NAPA is too stiff, not sensitive
enough to my brake line pressure. Perhaps I should order a switch from Moss.
However, the one from NAPA says its for MGs, Minis, and British cars in
general.

Has any one else had this problem and what was or could be the solution?
Thanks.

FRUSTRATED!!!!

Stu Keen
1951 MGTD MkII